EXTRACTION OF GEOMETRICAL AND ELECTROPSYSICAL FEATURES OF LIGHTING CHANNELS FROM SPHERICS
Principal Investigator: Jury A. Krasnitsky, Dr.Hab.Sc.Ing., Professor
Topics of Research and Main Results
Methods for extracting of geometrical and electrophysical features of lightning channels from spherics is investigated. It is suggested that the lightning EMF radiation pulse model is based on antenna array theory approach: it is supposed that the lightning channel is equivalent, in a definite sense, to discrete antenna array with elementary radi-ators formed by channel structural inhomogeneities.
The inverse problem is to evaluate the number, positions and "weights" of these radi-aors from spherics waveform records. It seems the conventional signal processing me-thods are not fully consistent with the problem mentioned above because of space-time varying character of spherics. It will be expected that it is reasonable to create a certain wavelet transfomation for spherics waveform processing.
- Ju. A. Krasnitsky. Evaluation of lightning current pulse parameters from spherics waveforms.- Proc. 9th Internat. Conf. on Atmospheric Electricity: St. Petersburg, 1992, v.1, pp.364-367
- Ju. A. Krasnitsky. Evaluation of lightning current pulse parameters from spherics waveforms.- Journ. of Geophys. Res., 1994, v.99, No.D5, pp.10723-10725
- Ju. A. Krasnitsky. Some features of the radiation pulse characteristics of complex radiating structures. - RAU Proc., Riga, 1995, pp.12 - 16 (in Russian)
- Ju. A. Krasnitsky. Problem of the current wave propagation in lightning stroke channel. - Aviation, Environment, Technosphere - Insight in 3rd Millenium. - Int. Symp. Proc., Riga, 1996, pp.120-122 (in Russian)
- Ju. A. Krasnitsky. VHF vacuum tube devices:Topics with MATLAB illustrations. - Riga, RAU, 1998, 96 pp. (in Russian)
- Ju. A. Krasnitsky. Thin structure of atmospherics. - 11th Int. Conf. on Atmospheric Electricity (ICAE '99) Short Pap.: Guntersville, USA, 1999, p. 9
- Ju. A. Krasnitsky. Thin structure of atmospherics. - 11th Int. Conf. on Atmospheric Electricity (ICAE '99) Proceedings: Guntersville, USA, 1999.