The procedure to enter the TSI for the applicants arriving from the countries with the simplified legalization procedure
The scheme to enter the first year of studies:
- pay the Registration fee – 200 Euros
N.B. The registration fee will not be paid back
- verification of the education documents at the Academic Information Center in Latvia
- submitting the documents necessary to make the agreement with the student on the provision of educational service
- signing the contract, payment of the tuition fee invoice
- submitting the documents to receive the residence permit in Latvia
- processing and receiving the short-terms stay visa
- arrival in Riga, processing and receiving the residence permit
Step 1. Verification of the education documents
To enter any higher educational establishment in Latvia your education documents shall undergo the verification at the Academic Information Center in Latvia (AIC) for their legitimacy and the compliance of the level of education.
To apply for the Admission 2017/2018 all applicants should:
- pay the Registration fee – 200 Euros
TSI bank details (for € and $):
Transport and Telecommunication Institute
Address of account holder:
Lomonosova 1, LV-1019, Riga, Latvia
Balasta Dambis 15, Riga, LV-1048, Latvia
Account No (IBAN):
Purpose of Payment:
Application fee for (name, surname same as written in the passport)
- the scanned copy of the first page of your passport valid to travel abroad;
- the scanned copies of education documents (with annexes and transcripts of records).
We draw up a request for the AIC, monitor the stages of verification and, as we receive the response, we notify you.
In case of a positive decision by the AIC we draw up and send you the electronic form of the contract and the invoices to pay.
Step 2. Paying the invoices
As you have received the contract on studies at the TSI and the invoice:
- pay the 1st year of studies in compliance with the received invoice.
N.B. The registration fee will not be paid back.
The tuition fee invoice shall be paid within the period of 10 days as received.
Step 3. Collecting the document set to obtain the residence permit
To obtain the temporary residence permit you need to gather a set of documents and send it to us over courier delivery.
The set of documents shall include:
- the filled in electronically, printed out and signed form with blue pen to apply for the residence permit.
- Please find the sample of a filled in form here.
- (To avoid any mistakes, please send us to check the electronically filled in form to the electronic mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 4 photos sized 3х4 cm.
- notarized document photocopies or original copies on the obtained education:
- those entering the Bachelor and Professional Bachelor studies programs – the high school diploma, the transcript of records and the CSE (for the applicants from Russia);
- those entering the Master and Doctoral studies programs – the high school diploma, the higher education diploma, the transcript of records, as to the high school diploma, so the higher education diploma, the CSE (for the applicants from Russia).
- the original copy of the reference on the absence of criminal records.
- the original copy of the bank reference, confirming the material support of the applicant for the current year (there shall be at least 4900 €* on the account), as well as the certification that the given account has an associated hereto international bank card.
- the photocopy of the front side of the international bank card.
- the signed with blue pen two original copies of the contract on education (in the Latvian and Russian/ English languages), printed out on both sides of the paper, with the annex (the signature shall be provided as following the text in the Latvian language, so following the text in the Russian/ English language)
- the payment order with the bank seal on the payment of the state fee (the original copy)
The state fee.
The state fee – the charge for the service of considering the documents at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) on the application for the temporary residence permit for a student at an accredited educational establishment.
The charge for the service depends on the term of consideration:
- for Bachelor and Professional Bachelor studies students,
- for Master and Doctoral studies students free of charge.
We recommend to make use of the 30-day procedure. 71,14 €
10 work days 213,43 €
5 work days 355,72 €
The described set of documents shall be sent over the courier delivery to the address:
Transporta un sakaru institūts,
The Enrollment Commission,
1 Lomonosova Street, off.410
N.B. You can submit the documents in person to obtain the residence permit at the Embassy of Latvia in the country of your residence. You can find more related details at the employees of the institute over the electronic mail: email@example.com, over the phone: +371 67 100 661
N.B. The students are not entitled to enter the territory of Latvia, while submitting the documents to obtain the residence permit.
N.B. Unless your documents bear an official state seal, you need to obtain the apostille at a governmental office of the country of your residence (for example, for the Ukraine it is the Ministry of Justice).
a special mark on public documents of non-commercial nature, originating from authorities and organizations of the members-states of the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization of Foreign Public Documents.
Please find more detailed information on -http://www.mfa.gov.lv/ru/consul-info/legalisation/
N.B. To obtain the residence permit the following documents should be submitted in one of the following languages: the Latvian, English, French, Russian or German language. In case of the original copies of your documents are in any other language, then you need to notarize the translation of these document photocopies into any above listed language. If applicable, the translation shall be legalized.
Step 4. Obtaining the entrance visa
Following the positive decision on the granting to you of the residence permit by the Embassy of Latvia in your country (the institute will notify you on the date, when the decision is made) it will be necessary to receive a short-term stay visa of D category to enter the territory of Latvia. (This requirement does not apply to those holding a Schengen visa valid on the day of the scheduled arrival).
To receive a short-term stay visa of D category you need to submit at the Embassy/ Consulate of Latvia in your country the following documents (those shall be considered at the site, and in some cases there is possible an interview with an embassy employee):
- passport (the original, shall be valid for another year and three months from the day the residence permit is issued),
- medical insurance (travel insurance) for the period of 1 month,
- the receipt on the payment of the consular fee (the sum of the consular fee can be particularized in the Embassy of Latvia in your country).
In case the granting of the residence permit, an entrance visa is denied, and you refuse to transfer for distance- correspondence studies the full payment of the tuition fee shall be returned to the applicant within the period of 10 work days.
Step 5. Obtaining the residence permit
The entrance visa for the period of 15 days is provided to enter Latvia and obtain the residence permit.
It is requested to notify the employees of the institute on the date of your arrival over the phone: +371 67 100 661 or writing to the electronic mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org for your timely registration for the appointment at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs to obtain the residence permit.
As the entrance visa is received the applicant shall arrive in Riga to the Institute of Transport and Communication (TSI) to receive the original copy of the contract.
Within the period of 3 days from the arrival at the institute we will help you to receive:
- the reference on the absence of tuberculosis, issued by a medical institution in Latvia.
- the medical insurance for the period of one year, it could be acquired at the building, where the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs is situated in, or any other insurance company of your choice.
To receive the residence permit you should submit the following documents at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs in Riga:
- your passport
- the reference on the absence of tuberculosis
- medical insurance
Consequently there will be issued an ID-card.
ID-card – a document proving the identity, while travelling around the territory of the European Union within the Schengen area. The processing of the ID-card shall be paid for, applying solely an international bank card
- the payment performed at the issuing of the card 14,23 € - within 10 work days;
- the expedited procedure 28,46 € - 2 work days.
Following the receiving of the ID-card, you shall declare your place of residence in Riga. You shall bring the received documents at the 410 office in the Institute of Transport and Communication.
The documents to obtain the residence permit should be submitted in one of the following languages: the Latvian, English, French, Russian or German language. In case the originals of your documents are in any other language, then you need to notarize the translation of these document photocopies into any above listed language. If applicable, the notarized translation shall be legalized.
The Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs grants the residence permit for the period of one year, in case there is completed the payment for one study year.
The period of validity for the documents required to obtain the residence permit:
- the documents confirming the existence of the required financial support in the Republic of Latvia, – 3 months from the date of issue
- the reference on the absence of criminal records – 6 months from the date of issue
- the reference on the results of the X-Ray or photofluorographic examination – 1 year from the date of issue
Particular conditions for underage applicants (younger than 18 y.o.)
In compliance with the legislation of the Republic of Latvia a guardian shall be appointed for an underage applicant. The issue on the appointment of a guardian shall be solved with the assistance of the International Division of the Institute. Please address any questions regarding this matter on the electronic mail: email@example.com or on the phone: +371 67 100 661.
* The prices are indicated in Euro (€) and are approximate. Those are in effect on the date the present informative material is being prepared and can be adjusted without prior notification.
Please contact the employees of the TSI for more detailed information:
Phone: (+371) 67 100 661